28 May 2008

A New Cop on the Beat





A New Cop on the Beat, 2008, acrylic on panel, 9x12in
Let me just start out and say that the colors in these pix don't represent the actual ones in the painting. That sucks because this is one of my most disciplined color works I've ever done. I was in the zone with using complimentary colors, shades, and application of paint here its a shame these pix don't give you the full sensation of the art.

Anyways, see this in person. This piece is about the size of a sheet of notebook paper. I can bring this thing anywhere I go.
Doing this piece was fun. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I bet everybody that sees this is going to refer to police as Robocop. Some of the terminology is ripped right out of Call of Duty 4. "Tango down!", "Our UAV is online!" etc.
I couldn't stop thinking about Robocop for some reason. Something in my inner workings was yearning for Robocop. I went to Blockbuster and rented it, saw it again for the first time since it first came out on VHS. I like the violence and brutality in the film. The movie is a propaganda film for sure. In the movie they talk about terrorism, bio warfare, violence on the US/Mexico border, joint operations between Mex and US. Nuclear devices going off, total preparation for whats to come.
I use the Robocop as a symbol for the advancement of the technological, militarization of the police force. I hope cops see this and see their actions and where they are going.

No comments: